Wedding Season>>Up to $100 OFF
If you want to banish frizz for good. You know that annoying ball of frizz that wraps around your head? then look no further. It can be challenging, but with the right knowledge you will be well on your way to sleek and silky hair. I am going to share with you 15 ways to reduce frizzy hair.
Hair gets frizzy when the outer layer of the hair (cuticle), is raised. This is due to dehydration and damage. The damaged cuticles can’t lock in moisture and as a result, the hair strands swell creating a not so flattering frizzy look. The environment, such as changes in the air, wind and UV radiation are the most common causes of frizz. Also, if you naturally have dry delicate or fine hair, a different reaction will happen when exposed to humidity. Curly hair is also prone to frizz. Over-styling , heat and damage from chemical treatments all cause frizzy hair.
1.Tip number one. One thing you can do when washing your hair, is use a sulphate- free shampoo. Shampoos containing sulfates peel away healthy oils and nutrients. One to try is coconut shampoo. It removes build up, moisturizes the hair, and cleans all in one wash. As an added bonus, the scent is great! You can pick up some from your local drugstore or beauty supply store. One to try is Ogx extra strength coconut miracle oil shampoo retailing at $6.99.
2.Never skip conditioner. You can use a conditioner with a powerful humectant in it. One to try is Miele Organics Moisturizing Avocado Hair Milk retailing at $20. Or you can also use a coconut oil conditioner. After shampooing, work the conditioner through the hair strands and rinse after one minute. Coconut oil contains emollients in it that promote scalp hair and heals damage to the hair.
3.Definitely use a hair mask once a week. This will calm down frizz, repair hair, and add moisture to the hair. A great mask is one with avocado oil in it. Avocado oil is known to penetrate the hair shaft and calm down frizz as it has oleic acid in it and monounsaturated fat.
4.Use a great anti-frizz serum on the hair. The L'Oréal Paris Elvive Smooth Intense Frizz Taming Serum instantly polishes and smooths frizz, strand by strand, while creating a humidity barrier to help block out frizz and lock in shine. Shiny hair is what we want, right?
5. A great added bonus would be to try a leave in conditioner. It protects hair from heat and helps tame frizz while adding luster to the hair. Leave in conditioners not only detangle hair, but also protects it from environmental damage. This is one of the main causes of frizzy hair.
6. Always use alcohol -free hairsprays. They eliminate dryness from the hair and help combat frizz. One to try is Kenra Professional Shaping Spray, retailing at $19.99. This will add shape and allow you to style your hair accordingly.
7. Treat your hair with an all natural hair mask. Try ½ avocado and 2 tbsp of plain yogurt. Combine ingredients and mash up into hair. Leave on for twenty minutes and then rise.
8. Another great idea that is often overlooked, is using a silk pillowcase. Silk is known to cause less breakage because it’s a naturally smoother surface. It’s perfectly ideal for frizz and brittle hair as it reduces static. You can use a silk pillowcase such as DryBar’s Slumber Party Silk Pillowcase retailing at $45. The silky surface helps cut down hair breakage.
9. If you want to prevent frizz and tame it at the same time, then it is imperative to decrease the frequency of shampooing. Over-washing can strip the hair of its natural oils, which help control frizz. It is advised to wash your hair 2-3 times per week using a sulfate-fee shampoo.
10. The use of natural oils helps replenish any lost moisture to the hair. Some oils include olive oil, Argan oil, coconut oil and almond oil. Put a small amount onto the hair ( approximately the size of a dime), and work into the strands before blow drying. The oils will absorb into the hair preventing damage and taking frizz at the same time.
11. Why not try a coconut oil mask? Put a tablespoon of oil into the hands and work into the hair. Wrap your head around with a towel and allow to sit overnight. After washing the hair, the coconut oil will have already penetrated the shaft leaving your hair silky smooth.
12. Treatment options help provide more of a permanent solution to frizz such as a Brazilian Blowout. This treatment is a liquid keratin formula that bonds to your hair to create a protective layer around each strand, so that it diminishes frizz, sealing the cuticle, and protecting against any external damage. The results last for three to four months and prices start at $350 and up. You can get this treatment done at your local salon.
13. Keratin treatments are also used to diminish frizz. The in-salon service can sometimes involve a formaldehyde-releasing solution (which is applied to your hair before it’s blow-dried and flat-ironed) that completely straightens your hair, smoothing down any frizz along with it. The end result is super sleek hair and it lasts for about four months. There are at home keratin treatments, but it’s best to have it done at a salon. Prices start at $300 and go up from there.
14. The next treatment is the most advanced and is gaining popularity on the market and beauty world. It’s the hair botox treatment. It starts off by repairing hair damage and broken fibers with a concentrate of active ingredients. This includes caviar oil, amino acids, natural proteins and Argan oil. Botox injections can result in fewer incidences of frizz and the ability to go longer without washing the hair. It is 100 percent chemical free. The mixture is applied onto the hair and left for about 45 minutes. It is blow dryed out and flat ironed. The botox solution fills cracks in the hair shaft, replenishes lost protein, and it also provides intensive hydration, repairs split ends, and reduces frizz. Prices start at $100 and should be repeated every 1-3 months.
15. The last tip is less expensive, less intense and the easiest to do. You will need a wide tooth comb. After shampooing with sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner, comb your hair in the shower. Don’t brush it afterwards. Then lightly towel dry. Overuse of the towel causes hair to frizz and we don’t want that. Use a microfiber towel as it is gentler on the hair shaft. You can also if you want, a leave in conditioner. Then after towel drying, let your hair dry till it’s at least 90 percent dry. Then style as usual.
There you have it. 15 ways to reduce frizzy hair. The key to silky smooth frizz-fee hair is precaution, maintenance and a treatment every six months. If you can’t afford the treatment, then for sure use the less expensive methods that work and help diminish frizz for good. Your hair will thank you for it and you will always have smooth and silk hair free of any frizz.